Churchill High School Dance Policies
Attending a dance at Churchill High School is a privilege that is available to students. Churchill provides these events for its students to enjoy; however, students can be denied entry to a dance at the principal or assistant principal’s discretion based on a number of factors including, but not limited to: previous dance behavior, suspensions, grades, attendance, and in-school behavior.
Churchill hosts two marquee dances every year (Homecoming and Prom) and a variety of smaller dances on a year-to-year basis. Policies related to dancing behavior apply to ALL dances. Individual dance behavior enforcement procedures may differ from dance-to-dance.
Dance and behavior policies are as follows:
- Any student who is currently suspended may not attend a dance during the time of his or her suspension.
- If a student is suspended prior to a dance, but after he or she has purchased a ticket, a refund MAY NOT be given.
- Any student who appears to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol may be detained by an administrator and questioned.
- If a student is found to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, the student will be immediately removed from the dance, his or her parents will be notified, and any school disciplinary consequences will apply.
- Students who are uncooperative, combative, or are in possession of illegal substances may be subject to police intervention.
- Any student who is removed from ANY dance for an alcohol- or drug -related offense, WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO ATTEND THE NEXT MARQUEE DANCE.
- For example, if a senior is removed from Homecoming or any subsequent dance throughout his or her senior year, for an alcohol- or drug –related offense he or she will NOT be allowed to attend Prom.
- Similarly, if a junior is removed from any dance for an alcohol- or drug -related offense, he or she will NOT be allowed to attend the following Homecoming.
- NO students over the age of 21 will be permitted to attend a dance at Churchill High School- including Prom.
- NO student in a grade lower than 9th grade will be permitted to attend a dance at Churchill High School.
- NO freshmen are permitted to attend Prom.
- If a non-Churchill student is attending a dance as a guest, his or her date MUST be a Churchill student in good standing and the proper guest pass must be completed before purchasing a ticket.
- Entry to a dance will close after ONE HOUR from the start time of the dance.
Dance Behavior Policies:
- The following actions are prohibited at ALL Churchill dances:
- Dancers bending over
- Touching of body parts in an inappropriate way
- Hands under clothing
- Removing clothing or breaking other school dress code policies
- Touching hands or other body parts, other than feet, to the floor
- Slam-dancing, crowd-surfing, or lifting dancers into the air
- If a student is not wearing a wristband, and confronted, he or she will be dismissed from the remainder of the dance with no refund, and parents will be contacted.
- Enforcement of Behavior Policy
- All students entering a dance shall be issued a wristband
- If a dancer is in violation of the dance behavior policy:
- The dancer’s wristband will be removed;
- He or she will be given a verbal warning that they are in violation;
- He or she will be informed of what action(s) led to this warning, and
- He or she will be informed of the consequence of a second violation.
- Consequences for Behavior Policy Violations
- If a student commits two violations of the Dance Behavior policy at a single event, he/she will be dismissed from the remainder of that dance with no refund, and parents will be contacted.
- Possible school disciplinary action.